Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of the dish before I disassembled it, but I do have some during the refinishing process. I started by scraping off as much of the old peeling paint as I could. 

Then I hit it with the orbital sander loaded up with a 120 grit disk. 

I wasn't trying to get a mirror finish on this, I wanted to be sure I didn't see any of the edges of the old paint. A note, this only really worked because the sander is small enough, about 30% of the disk never really got used, as the concavity of the dish made the sander rest on the edges. To see an exaggerated example of this, Find a CD and place it in a cereal bowl, assuming you have a regular cereal bowl with a tapered edge, you should see how the disk only touches on the edge. the only real negative impact of this was that the paper "wore out" faster than normal. But I think the results of 2 disks speak for themselves.

The other parts I hand sanded and self-etching primed sans-camera.  I had a lovely bunch of swingers hanging from the garage ceiling in various places.

After the primer dried, I hit everything with a Rustoleum rust-stopping white spray paint. Now, looking back, I would have done things a little differently. I would have liked to take a day and use automotive paints for this, and if I ever have to re-paint this, I will. It definitely would have saved time on the dish, and would have given me some additional practice with the guns on smaller parts. Next time! 

Once the white finished drying, I sprayed it with some matte finish clear... after a google search just now, I feel like this may have been a slight mistake...

Radio waves are a type of electromagnetic (EM) radiation with wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum longer than infrared light. They have have frequencies from 300 GHz to as low as 3 kHz, and corresponding wavelengths from 1 millimeter to 100 kilometers.
— https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-physics/chapter/the-electromagnetic-spectrum/

Realistically, the surface finish should show no real difference from matte to gloss coat, even at 1mm. Hell, I probably could've gotten away with the scraped galvanization, with some encapsulator on the rust-spots, if it wouldn't look like crap. I have to put this in view of the neighbors, and I have new neighbors, so I'd like to be friendly. 

Anyways, I primed and painted the dish as well, but I only cleared the back and edges, as I am waiting on some "finishing touches" to come in. I may re-coat the whole dish in a lacquer clear, if I wasn't an idiot and use enamel base-paints... ARGH!!! Alright, well... damn. I'll just clear it like the rest... I'll have to media blast this when the finish inevitably dies, then I'll use auto paint for it. 

Until those touches come in, I can't finish the dish properly. So I get to start modeling components. I have the original horn upstairs, and I did forget to take pics it before disassembling it, but here's what it looks like disassembled.