Alright, so this was originally in another post lost in the ether of naivety, so we're going to back track this project here. 

I started this project as a "get my feet wet" robotics project, but it turned out to be more of a "just do what you know" kinda thing. not a bad thing, but definitely short of what I imagined... 

Regardless, We started this project in late October, 2017. I wanted a Star Wars droid and dammit I was gonna have one. I got started by shopping around for an RC Car I could salvage for the drivetrain. I got the body cut up from a white faces scrap of hardboard, I've also heard it called masonite, and that seems to be an accurate name. I believe I used the undebelly of an old turntable with a shot main board. The lower box was made with some scrap 1/8" plywood, probably birch faced, if I had to guess. The channel is actually a section of 2x4 I cut on the table saw in order to be close. Then came a lot of bondo and sanding. I used a filler primer to start, then sanded again. then used an old can of rusty metal primer and alternated layers that way. Much like an automotive guide coat.