That's right! It's a rusty barrel! Thanks for your time everybody!
I kid, I picked two of these up back when I worked at O'Reilly's. They're 16 gallon steel drums (all of the basic specs can be found here); the plan is to section them every 11.875" and make the bottom 2" removable, unless it's the pictured barrel, in which case the bottom's already mostly missing. My intention is to make the cleaning process easier. Also, I can stack individual sections if I need overhead clearance. I'm going to ditch the plaster and sand mix in favor of a firebrick and ceramic blanket option. so here's the overview:
Four sections per complete unit, as I doubt I will ever need anything larger. I'd like to line the bottom with fire brick, to keep things properly stable, but push come to shove I'll just make a shallow cradle out of ceramic blanket scraps. The cart is actually a section of frame from the power wheelchair I bought for Johnny, along with some sections of an old lawn mower I grabbed to play around with the engine. I've got upgrades for the current wheels coming as soon as I get access to a lathe.
I've got the propane riding there for storage, but ultimately it will not sit there during operation, unless I can make a heat-shield I feel confident about. I'm still ordering materials and trying to keep this kinda budget friendly (Ceramic insulation is not cheap, unless you're Elon Musk.) so this design is subject to some change. The barrel and cart won't, but the burner assembly, along with some of the smaller parts have their design up for review and upgrade.
I still have some old Chop Saw parts to melt down, as well as some misc car parts, and that giant block of water pump. I could probably split the water pump block into pieces, but at the end of the day, It's all going to be cast into plugs. So yeah! fun times! Can't wait to get this puppy up and running! I've already set aside a 12kg crucible for some of these pieces.
I do need to buy some more sand.