There's this guy I know from way back in high school. We go shooting together sometimes... 

I kinda hate him...

5749.jpeg

I hate him a lot...

He's a kind of mortal enemy...

He has Christine's Caucasian sister!!!

6363.jpeg

And imma help him fix her. 

Here's the issue: Chrysler corporation Lean Burn. Circa 1983, [nawct]. The thing runs, but not for longer than three minutes at a crack. I happen to have an spare Holley 2245 2bbl carburetor off of my car, it's missing the accelerator plate and the linkage hookups, but we can cannibalize that off of the current carter, and I can make a new plate. So there's two more issues knocked off! What's left? Well... the real issue is that the carter has a different mounting bolt width than the Holley. It's about a half-inch narrower driver-passenger. If only we knew of a way to fix that...

Well... small sections of aluminum bar stock are fairly easy to come by... The world we live in today... You can order stock metal off of Amazon today... you gotta imagine how people like Homer Hickam would have turned out with this kinda accessibility. Anyways pulling back to reality. Aluminum: 1/2x3x12 of 6061 for I think $13 rounded up & shipped to my door. now if only a railroad spike's worth of steel was still $8.20. 

I took the Carter mounting gasket and my old carb home and began the digital creation of a new mounting plate. I started modeling in the same way I'll be machining this. I laid out the aluminum bar stock to it's advertised dimensions. On a side note, i'm modeling this in millimeters because that allows for a more streamlined 3D printing process.

Blank-Stock.JPG

 Then I laid out my carb's bolt mounting pattern, as it's larger than the carter. Measuring the length of the gasket, I "cut" (void extruded) the excess off.

Cut-With-Holley_Holes.JPG

I'm left with a small rectangle with four holes in it. I sketched out the throttle body openings on the "top" of the digital block next. I did not extrude this yet.

HolleySketch.JPG

Next I modeled the Carter's mounting pattern, and extruded that as well. 

I sketched the Carter throttle body opening on the opposite side of the aluminum. Then did a void swept blend to cut them out. This turned out to be less impressive than originally expected, but still necessary as the butterfly on the Holley is wider than the Carter.

And that looks like it'll fit! I set the resolution to "low" and sent it to the printer. 

And {  } minutes later, we have our completely air-headed part. this thing only has 15% infill, as it's only really a drill guide, but it sure does help to make sure that things line up! I made arrangements to test it on the car.