Alright, where shall we start? 

I started this project back in oh... summer sometime, in 2016... I've documented a lot of my work [here] so I won't go into too much detail, but the gist of it, is that I saw Cody Reeder extract deuterium, that he enriched, from old battery acid. I had a couple of batteries lying about, so I thought I'd give it a shot. after a little compulsiveness, I ended up with over 15 gallons of it... yeah... So I started to replicate the experiment, which by this time had become a STEM project at Morton College. I got familiar with more glassware than I could name offhand, and got pretty good at titrations, I think... Regardless, I collected everything and tried to purify the resulting water as best as I could, and ended up with a small, I think 30ml sample IIRC of water that - I still have to test - contains a higher content of deuterium. I'm planning on continuing this process in the near future, with proper testing when I get the chance. 

So that brings us up to today, I've let things slow down some, which may or may not be a good thing, I'm not sure yet. One of the odd things about the process I use { (H2SO4)aq + (Na2CO3)s -> (Na2SO4)aq + (H2O)l + (CO2)g } is the Sodium Sulfate. If you properly neutralize the acid, and let it alone, it crystallizes. The crystals are thin, needle, water-clear, geometric spears when they first form, only taking on a color if there is a contaminant in the solution, and if let dry, turn into a white powder that sticks fairly well to many surfaces. The crystals are quite brittle, and can contain a lot of water. they tend to settle on the bottom of the container, but are easily scraped out with any hard edged strainer.  that being said, if you let things go too long, and break the crystals by moving the container, then they have a distinct possibility of creating a crystal manhole cover. I have one that is approaching 2.5" (6cm) in thickness and produces a notable amount of concern for me. dealing with such a large sample may prove to be quite difficult. I have not checked the other bucket of product. 

I should refrigerate them... Refrigeration should create more crystals and therefore should help in keeping large crystals out of the new boiler I purchased from Clawhammer Supply. I have the 1 gallon unit, and that should be a great size for primary reduction. After that, I have a lovely 500mL Round Bottomed Distilling apparatus for the rest of the process. Being as we went through nearly a liter of material during the STEM trials, and ended up with less than a tenth of that, I feel comfortable losing the first two thirds of material I have, after salt reduction. I'll be saving it, for further testing, but my primary focus will be with the last third of material. 

So where do we go from here? I still need to actually receive and construct the boiler, and I still need to acquire a 500ml heating mantle. Once I have both of those, I have enough equipment to start, but I'd like to make a dedicated Distillation Stand where everything lines up well. I do feel the need to take samples of the accumulated liquid and run tests on them, so I think I'll hit up Walmart for some jars. 

So here's the shopping list, no particular order, in it's entirety: 

  • High Vacuum Grease.
  • Aluminum Bat: 3/8" x 1" x (12)" (Dist glassware stand)
  • Heating Mantle
  • Sample Jars
  • Stand Clamp things...
  • Threaded stand rods
  • Setscrews
  • spare joint clamps
  • Cooling bath
  • Burette
  • Indicator (need to check my notes.) 
  • PH Sensor would be lovely... there may be inexpensive hope for this yet!
  • a place to set up the automated neutralization. 

I still have "live" acid I need to deal with, and I have a metric shit-ton of NA2CO3 to use, and I still need to figure out what I'm doing with the resulting dehydrated salt... but yeah! I don;t wanna manually add the Sodium Carbonate by hand, so i'm working on an automated set up. Sounds like summer's gonna be fulla science! I'm going to work on the final neutralization set up here and get back when something happens.